Comparing our Income Protection options
|Feature||Opt-In Income Protection||Tailored Income Protection|
|Cover obtained||Opt-In1||By application|
|Benefit Period||2 years||2 years, 5 years, to age 65|
|Waiting Period||90 days||30, 60, 90, 180 days|
|Cover up to age 65||✔||✔|
|Covers Self-Employed members||X||✔|
|Partial disablement payments||✔||✔|
|Indexation of cover||X||✔|
|Indexation of Income Protection claim benefits||X||✔3|
|Occupational Rehabilitation support||✔||✔|
|Cover during paid and unpaid leave 2||✔||✔|
|Cover during overseas employment||✔||✔|
|Limited cover||24 months and 30 day At Work requirement||X|
|Maximum cover per month||$5,000 ($7,500 if you have White Collar cover)||$30,000|
|Premium waiver when on claim||✔||✔|
1 Within 120 days of joining Australian Retirement Trust you can apply to add Opt-In Income Protection cover. Refer to Opt-In Income Protection below.
2 Income Protection cover will stop where your period of Unpaid Leave or parental leave exceeds 24 months.
3 Indexation applied to Benefit Periods under Tailored Income Protection cover.
How much will cover cost?
The cost of cover depends on your age and gender and will increase at certain ages. Any premium change will occur when cover alters at certain ages.
Income Protection premiums are calculated weekly and normally deducted from your Super Savings account each month.
Things to consider
• Premiums generally increase with age.
• Generally Income Protection benefits are taxable income and subject to Pay As You Go (PAYG) tax.
• You may also have the added advantage of insurance premiums offsetting your 15% contributions tax liability.
• An Income Protection benefit is not paid during the Waiting Period.
What's not covered?
An Income Protection benefit will not be paid if the injury or sickness is caused, wholly or partly, directly or indirectly, from:
- a deliberate self-inflicted injury or attempted suicide or self-destruction while sane or insane,
- an uncomplicated pregnancy, childbirth or miscarriage,
- your deployment to a hostile environment as part of active military service, where you participate in active service after your cover commences or increases,
- a criminal act committed by you, or
- a fraudulent claim is made.
How to apply
You can apply for an amount up to 85% of your Income (75% of your Income plus 10% superannuation contribution) but not more than $30,000 per month. Income is defined in the Super Savings Insurance guide.
Opt-In Income Protection
You must apply within 120 days of joining Australian Retirement Trust. You can apply when you join online or via Member Online (if you are already a member).
If you would prefer filling in a paper application please complete and return the New Member Options form.
Tailored Income Protection
You can apply for cover through Member Online.
If you would prefer filling in a paper application please complete and return the Tailored insurance application form.
Need more information?
Check out the Super Savings Insurance guide or contact us on 13 11 84 and we'll talk you through it.