From 1 October 2021, super funds must comply with the SuperStream data and payment standards for SMSF transfers. This means, rollovers into or out of a SMSF must be performed using SuperStream. SuperStream is an electronic gateway used to facilitate the rollover of funds between superannuation funds.
To be SuperStream ready for rollovers, a SMSF needs to have:
- an electronic service address (ESA) providing rollover SuperStream services
- an Australian business number (ABN)
- up to date details recorded with the ATO (including the SMSFs unique bank account details for superannuation payments)
Australian Retirement Trust is now SuperStream ready for SMSF rollovers.
For more information on the 1 October 2021 changes, visit ato.gov.au.
Not a member? Join us here.
To arrange a rollover from your self-managed super account to your Australian Retirement Trust account, contact the administrator of your SMSF.
The rollover from your SMSF to Australian Retirement Trust will need to take place electronically using SuperStream. We will not accept transferred funds from a SMSF via BPAY or cheque.
Some important Australian Retirement Trust details you may need for the rollover can be found here.
Setting up and running a SMSF involves significant time and effort. Make sure you understand the costs and what is involved in having a self-managed superannuation fund before you switch.
If you're intending to transfer in order to get early access to your benefits, please read this warning from ASIC before taking any action.
Steps for rolling your Australian Retirement Trust to a SMSF
Under superannuation legislation, we can only transfer balances to a SMSF if you (or your company) are a member, trustee or director of a corporate trustee of the SMSF. We'll verify with the ATO the SMSF and member details provided in the request. If we're unable to, we'll let you know.
To assist in managing security and fraud risk in rollover transactions you will need to provide certified proof of identity documents and a copy of a bank statement for the SMSF. We cannot process your request until this information is provided.
To arrange a rollover of your Australian Retirement Trust to your self-managed super account follow these steps.
- To ensure there are no delays with your rollover, check the details held by the ATO for your SMSF and ensure these are correct and up to date.
- Contact the administrator of your SMSF account to initiate a rollover request or you may be able to submit an electronic portability form (EPF) through myGov online services.
- In addition to receiving a request via SuperStream, Australian Retirement Trust requires the
- Certified proof of identity documents. For full details about proof of identity requirements refer to our Proof of identity requirements. These documents must be posted to Australian Retirement Trust.
- Copy of a bank statement for the SMSF. The bank statement must have been issued within 12 months
have the following present:
- The SMSF name as account holder
- BSB and Account Number
- The institution name and logo
- A copy of the bank statement can be posted to Australian Retirement Trust with your certified proof of identity or the bank statement can be uploaded here.
We will complete the rollover within three business days of receiving all required information.
If you need more information regarding SMSF rollovers, please give us a call on 13 11 84 or visit the contact us page to access our live chat tool. We're available 8.00am - 6.30pm (AEST) Monday to Friday.